Cell Phone Radiation
Electromagnetic Fields (EMFs) are yet another cause for health concern in our modern world. You may have laughed at people for avoiding microwave ovens or installing “tumor shields” on their cell phones, but studies show that concerns over EMFs are valid, and exposure is difficult, if not impossible, to avoid.
Mobile phones use electromagnetic radiation in the microwave range. In 2011, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classified mobile phone radiation as Group 2B carcinogenic (possibly cancer causing). Whether or not this radiation actually causes the creation of cancerous cells, the negative affect on human health is that it weakens the immune system, stresses the body and damages healthy cells. It has been linked with Alzheimer’s, Multiple Sclerosis, chronic fatigue, miscarriage, insomnia, lyme disease, high blood pressure, ADD/ADHD, and many other chronic ailments.
Digital wireless systems (data communication networks such as WiFi) produce similar radiation.
No one is immune to the effects of electromagnetic radiation, but some people are more susceptible than others to developing or worsening preexisting conditions. Some factors that encourage a stronger reaction to EMF exposure include:
- high stress levels
- low iodine levels
- heavy metal toxicity
- weakened immune system
- high total EMF exposure, or a previous incident of very strong exposure
- having other preexisting health problems
While it hasn’t yet been proven without a doubt that EMF from cell phone exposure directly causes cancer or other serious ailments, it might be a good idea to implement some preventative measures to ensure that 20 years from now you’re not used for statistical data proving that it does!
5 Tips for Reducing EMF Exposure
- When at all possible, use the speaker phone or a wired ear bud and keep the phone 12-24 inches away from you. Or purchase an EMF shielding device.
- Try to avoid using your cell phone while in a car or any metal enclosure (ie. elevators), as the metal intensifies the radiation exposure
- Don’t use a Bluetooth earpiece due to the fact that’s the same technology causing EMF exposure in your phone
- Use your land line whenever possible – but avoid cordless phones, as they emit 24/7 wireless radiation from the moment they are plugged in
- Take nature walks to give yourself a reprieve from EMF exposure altogether
7 Nutritional Tips that Protect Against and Repair DNA Damage
- Eat a nutrient dense diet rich in Omega 3 fatty acids
- Include iodine rich foods in your diet, such as grass-fed butter, which contains plenty of iodine in a highly absorbable form
- Consume foods high on the ORAC scale (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity), such as artichokes, red beans, cranberries, pecans, pomegranate seeds, rosemary, asparagus, walnuts, cruciferous vegetables, cinnamon, dates, and cilantro
- Incorporate mineral rich sea vegetables and spirulina (available as a whole food supplement) in your diet
- Eat sulfur rich and glutathione enhancing foods, such as raw (unpasteurized) dairy products and raw fruits and vegetables such as spinach, avocados, garlic, tomatoes, walnuts, and curcumin (turmeric). Sulfur rich foods include onions, broccoli, bok choy, Brussels sprouts, garlic, and leeks.
- Be sure to get more zinc and selenium in your diet with cooked oysters, crab, beef, lamb, wheat germ, spinach, pumpkin seeds, raw cashews, and mushrooms.
- Eat melatonin rich foods, including sour cherries, walnuts, mustard seed, non-GMO corn, ginger root and rolled oats.
Byrne, Kevin. Naturally Savvy. 10 Ways to Protect Yourself from EMF Exposure
Wright, Carolanne. Natural News. It’s true: You really can protect yourself from electromagnetic radiation – here’s how. January 14, 2013.
International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). IARC classifies radiofrequency electromagnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans. May 31, 2011.
Best-EMF-Health.com Are the dangers of electromagnetic radiation a factor for your health?
Safety Advice for Electromagnetic Fields. Precautionary Measures.
EMF Safety Network. Cell and Cordless Phones.