My Secret Place – Food for My Soul
Prayer and meditation can reduce anxiety and stress, help you to make better decisions, and reinvigorate your soul. Sometimes it is difficult to find a place for prayer and meditation. But every home can be manipulated in such a way to create a place for your soul.
Great places for prayer and meditation are closets, storage areas, and extra bedrooms. Many times the closet in the extra bedroom can be great because its a place that is rarely used.
Steps to creating your secret place:
1. Identify a location with little to no foot traffic.
2. Clear everything (or as much as possible) out of that area. Remove any electronic devices, with the exception of something to play music or ambient sound, if desired.
3. Place your favorite blanket, floor mat, or pillows on the floor, and if possible, create a small book shelf for your bible or favorite inspirational book.
4. Maybe even buy small speakers so you can plug your mp3 player or phone (disabling the ringer), allowing you to listen to your favorite inspirational music.
5. Make a goal to at least take to time to go into this secrete place once a week, working up to everyday.
6. Make sure family and/or roommates know not to disturb you during this time.
7. Develop a prayer, an affirmation or a meditation that you will focus on every time you go to your secret place.
It may take time to turn off all the voices in your head that are nagging you about your to-do list, work, or relationship problems. But if you allow yourself enough time in this place on a consistent basis, you will soon learn to hear the quiet voice of wisdom that can help you achieve balance and peace in your soul.
“Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul.” – Ghandi
“But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.” – Matthew 6:6