Join the Souletics Natural Health Email List!
If you’re interested in learning more about which nutritional protocol and other measures I’m taking to treat and heal psoriasis, then sign up below and I’ll gladly keep you in the loop!
Home Remedies for Eczema
Eczema is a skin disorder caused by inflammation. Over the counter creams typically do not work or only offer temporary relief. More effective at managing symptoms, the common mainstream medical treatment for eczema are steroid creams, and sometimes even steroid injections.
The problem with steroid treatments is that it causes side effects, some quite serious. Steroids may weaken the immune system, cause further irritation to the skin in the form of stretch marks, thinning, wrinkling, and hypo-pigmentation. Additionally, because strong chemicals can penetrate the skin and enter the bloodstream, hydrocortisone cream may increase the potential for viruses to infect blood cells and in severe cases may cause blood poisoning.
There are natural topical creams that can help lessen the symptoms of eczema. Some of these include:
- High quality organic virgin coconut oil – Calms irritated skin, while the antibacterial and anti fungal qualities found in unrefined coconut oil may also prevent infection in open sores.
- Unrefined shea butter – The thick wax like texture of shea butter seals the skin and lessens dryness and itchy symptoms. A blend of shea butter and coconut oil creates an easy to apply lotion that is very effective in relieving and protecting irritated skin. – Support our Resource Center by purchasing high quality organic fair trade shea butter through our Amazon Affiliate link: Shea Butter – Molivera Organics 16 Oz. Raw Unrefined African Organic Ivory Shea butter for Natural Skin Care, Hair Care and Body Butters – Fair Trade Karite SheaButter from Ghana – UV Resistant Jar – 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- Magnesium chloride oil – May diminish inflammation. Support our Resource Center by purchasing high quality magnesium chloride oil through our Amazon Affiliate link: Ancient Minerals Ultra Pure Magnesium Oil 8 oz.
- Sea Salt baths – Also diminishes inflammation and discomfort.
- Bentonite clay baths – Detoxes the skin and soothes irritation. Support our Resource Center by purchasing high quality bentonite clay through our Amazon Affiliate link: Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing, 1 Pound
While these topical solutions may provide relief, they still do not address the root cause of eczema, which is believed to be found in the digestive system. Unfortunately, digestive issues affect millions of Americans due to modern food production techniques that strip nutrients and cause inflammation in the intestines. Inflammation is the root cause of countless ailments, yet most medical treatments fail to address this common problem.
Many eczema sufferers have found that simply by changing what they eat, they can cure themselves of this skin condition, as well as the most stubborn health problems. For options on treating eczema through nutrition, read “The Amazing ‘Cure All’ Healing Diet.”