Probiotics and Weight Loss? Probiotics Can Help You Lose Weight and Belly Fat
Probiotics are live microorganisms that have health benefits when eaten. They are found in both supplements and fermented foods. Probiotics may improve digestive health, heart health and immune function, and promote weight loss.
Probiotics and weight loss sound good, but a high quality probiotic comes with even more benefits.
There are hundreds of different microorganisms in your digestive system. The majority of these are bacteria, most of which (in a healthy gut) are friendly. Friendly bacteria produce several important nutrients, including vitamin K and certain B-vitamins. Probiotics also help break down foods and fiber that the body can’t digest.
There are two main families of good bacteria in the gut: bacteroidetes and firmicutes. Body weight seems to be related to the balance of these two families of bacteria.
Both human and animal studies have found that normal-weight people have different gut bacteria than overweight or obese people. And one particularly gross reality is it is estimated that most people are carrying around 5 – 20 pounds of fecal matter in their colon (belly). Yuck!!!
More importantly a healthy person should have 2 – 3 bowel movements per day. If you are constipated for just a day you could be 6 bowel movements behind. So giving your body what it needs to break down, digest and eliminate is ever so critical.
In other words, probiotics can help you break down and get rid of the waste by helping the digestive system break down those foods, and also fighting the bad bacteria in the gut. Probiotics can essentially assist you in maintaining fewer calories from the foods in your diet.
Certain bacteria, such as those from the Lactobacillus family, have been found to function in this way.
Lactobaciilus Acidopholus is one strain you should look for in a good probiotic. As well as a “bifidobacterium longum probiotic”, a probiotic with both strains is a bonus.
Probiotics may also fight obesity in other ways:
- Release of GLP-1: Probiotics may help release the satiety (appetite-reducing) hormone GLP-1. Increased levels of this hormone may help you burn calories and fat.
- Increase of ANGPTL4: Probiotics may increase levels of the protein ANGPTL4. This may lead to decreased fat storage (16).
There is also a lot of evidence that obesity is linked to inflammation in the brain. There have been several studies on the link between gut health and brain health. If you look from a basic point of view, the gut is the center of your health, as there are millions of neurological connections from the brain to the gut. By improving gut health with high quality probiotics you may reduce systemic inflammation, brain fog, protect against obesity and other diseases, and lastly reduce some weight around your midsection.
Zinc for Prostate Health
6 THINGS YOU NEED TO DO TO ELIMINATE BELLY FAT, WEIGHT AND PROMOTE GUT HEALTH
- You need to drink enough water through out the day – Your body is estimated at 70% water. Drinking water will help you eliminate waste and toxins from your body. Half your body weight in ounces is a good start!
- Zinc – Specifically for men: Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death among men. Researchers have uncovered data revealing that the trace mineral zinc plays an active role in maintaining prostate health. In fact, prostate cells accumulate more zinc than do cells in any other human tissue.
- You must exercise – exercising daily helps your digestive system get moving. Implementing twisting exercising around the waste line is also beneficial
- You should have a diet high in fiber and vegetables.
- You should include fermented foods to add variety to the healthy bacteria in your gut
- Take a high quality probiotic to increase the population of healthy bacteria in your gut
Here is the probiotic we use – Ultimate Gut Health – it’s ours and it’s available on Amazon!
For further research you can check out Dr. Mercola’s site and other natural news outlets.