Yeast Infection Natural Remedy
Candida overgrowth can cause any number of physical ailments, including fatigue, poor memory, sugar cravings, and recurring yeast infections.
A yeast infection may or may not be the result of a chronic infestation of candida. In fact, yeast infections commonly occur after a round of antibiotics, and chronic yeast infections can occur due to overuse of antibiotics.
Why Choose Home Remedies for Thrush
The most common conventional treatments for yeast infections and thrush include over-the-counter creams or suppositories and prescription drugs. More severe symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection may be prescribed an antifungal vaginal cream, like Lotrimin and Mycelex (clotrimazole), Monistat and Micatin (miconazole), and Terazol (terconazole). The oral antifungal medication Diflucan (fluconazole) may also be prescribed. Diflucan or Nystatin are typically prescribed for oral thrush, and if thrush occurs in a breastfeeding mother and baby, both the mother and the baby must be treated simultaneously in order to prevent repeat infection.
Side effects associated with antifungal creams include burning, stinging, swelling, irritation, redness, and flaking of the treated skin. Side effects associated with Diflucan and Nystatin include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, headache, dizziness, or hair loss. In rare cases, these drugs may also cause liver disease.
Fortunately, for both infrequent yeast infections and also for the more chronic systemic candida overgrowth, there are plenty of natural remedies. Because yeast quickly multiplies, natural remedies are most effective when begun at the first indication of onset and continued for at least 14 days.
Some of the best yeast infection natural remedies include:
- Garlic – Raw garlic and/or garlic capsules will combat yeast overgrowth. How long does garlic take to cure a yeast infection? 1-3 Days to 2 Weeks
- Pau d’arco – This South American herb can be found in capsule or tincture form at your natural health store. It can be taken orally or applied topically.
- Calendula – Capsules or tinctures can also be taken orally or applied topically.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Drink 2 tablespoons of raw, organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar a day – either straight or diluted in water. The unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar will be cloudy (not like the big brand name bottles you find in conventional stores) as they contain the good bacteria that will fight the yeast overgrowth and help restore your body’s natural Ph balance. Additionally, adding a cup of ACV in a warm bath daily can eliminate symptoms and rid yeast from the vaginal area.
- Probiotics – A high quality probiotic should be taken in conjunction with any or all of the above remedies. Of course we have a great probiotics Ultimate Gut Health.
Home Remedy for Thrush
- If oral thrush does not respond to the above remedies, antiseptic liquid gentian violet is a good alternative to prescription drugs. Its purple liquid is messy and can stain clothes, but it typically only needs to be used twice a day for three days to see results. For use with babies, it’s best to dilute – dip a Q-tip into the solution and then a bit of water before swabbing baby’s mouth. Straight gentian violet can irritate tender mouth tissues.
If systemic candida overgrowth is suspected, the dietary recommendations found in “The Amazing ‘Cure-All’ Healing Diet” have also been reported as highly effective in treating candida.
For more great home remedies using apple cider vinegar, visit:
- 5 Powerful Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar
- More Home Remedies Using Apple Cider Vinegar
- Natural Remedies for Sunburn
- Treat Scalp Issues Like Dandruff Naturally
- UTI Home Remedies
- Natural Treatment for Acid Reflux
- DIY Natural Hair Products for Fine, Straight or Wavy Hair
- DIY Natural Hair Products for Curly or Ethnic Hair